Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?

From: Martin Langhoff
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:28:41 +1200

On 8/22/05, Andy Tai <address@hidden> wrote:
> Now, an interesting question is, why git at this
> stage?  While git is being used, it is younger than
> any of these.  How come there seem to be an impression
> that git is usable today, more so than arch, baz, bzr,
> etc.?

Because it is running sucessfully for the Linux kernel community,
which is probably the FOSS dev community with funkier SCM practices.
If _they_ find it good, it's got to be the cat's whiskers.

For example, read on Stacked GIT (StGIT) which is reproduces something
kernel hackers seem to have been doing for a while with quilt, and no
SCM I know of supports. And Linus' involvement has spawned an instant
developer community around it.

GIT is definitely ackward unless you use some shell wrappers around
it. Luckily, it has 2 useable GUIs and one shell UI: Cogito. I am
personally using cogito, and it is way more flexible, and way more
powerful than Arch ever was. Cogito doesn't cover all the bases, some
commands I still use git, but those are simple commands. The tricky
part of using git is well covered.

Every once in a while I still need to ask a question or two, and some
things are evolving. But I am using it in production and I am as happy
as pie.

cheers,

martin