Re: [Gnu-arch-users] to support the continued development of Arch

From: Andy Tai
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] to support the continued development of Arch
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:56:48 -0700 (PDT)

Ludovic, I don't understand your comment.  Where
exactly did I say people shall work for cheap?  I
mentioned India, etc. for exact the reason I want
the
money to be of maximum use for the development of a
Free Software project, and I don't want the person
doing Arch to live cheaply.  And I am only looking
at
doing this within my ability, as I am not rich and
this money would come out of my salary. (Yes, I earn
salary too.)  And clearly I cannot afford to hire
someone where I live with my own salary, so I can
only
try to "outsource" it.  How is this single case
related to lowering the wages in the West, well, I
don't know. But if this money goes to someone in
India
and eventually contributes to the advancement of
Arch
where people globally, including these in France,
can
benefit, I think it is a positive investment for
this
planet.

> --- Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>

> > > I am willing to provide US $ 250 per month
> toward
> > this
> > > effort.  I hope there may be other interested
> > users of
> > > Arch who can contribute too.  While this may not
> > sound
> > > like a lot of money for people living in the US
> or
> > > other Western countries, if we can make it up
> to,
> > say,
> > > US $600 per month, this money may be enough to
> > support
> > > some talent hacker in India or Eastern Europe
> for
> > each
> > > month where the cost of living is lower.
> >
> > Are you kidding?  Developing Free Software doesn't
> > mean "working for
> > Free", nor should it mean "working cheaper".  As
> you
> > probably know,
> > people in western countries (especially in western
> > Europe) are concerned
> > that such behaviors (observed in large-scale
> > transnational companies)
> > may lead to a lowering of wages and possibly a
> > decline of work
> > conditions in western countries, while surely not
> > improving them in
> > other countries.  That's certainly not a solution
> > the problem.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ludovic.

Andy Tai, address@hidden
Free Software: the software by the people, of the people and for the people!
Develop! Share! Enhance! Enjoy!