Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:22:30 +0100

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 08:13:12PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
> why can't someone step up as a
> maintainer and try doing a better job?

Put bluntly, I think that the heavy politicalisation of the revision
control field, with widespread territorialism and a few financial
heavyweights trying to achieve market dominance, is too hostile an
environment to support practical free software development. The antics
of companies like Canonical, BitMover and Tigris have effectively
nuked the field and it will take years before the radiation decays
enough to support life. In the meantime we'll just have to put up with
the various lousy options current available. You can't build something
worthwhile when a heap of people are running around and trying to
knock it down faster than you can put it together.

Find something else to work on until this crap goes away. Should only
take ten or fifteen years.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |