Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...

From: Martin Langhoff
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Maintainership, and whiners...
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:06:17 +1300

On 10/14/05, Martin Langhoff <address@hidden> wrote:
> No -- GIT doesn't only look for a filename match, that'd be naive.

For those interested in the internals, here's the relevant "merge
resolver", http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=git&m=112826783030832&w=2

And you can follow discussions related to it by searching marc for
"fredrik merge"
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=git&w=2&r=1&s=fredrik+merge&q=b

This was done to support the klibc vs klibc-bbuild kernel branches
which are exchanging patches but have some renamed/moved directories:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=git&m=112829834932673&w=2

This was tested extensively with kernel dev trees, which have some
nasty merges with very convoluted ancestries. I guess that one of the
reasons that the monsters in the dark that Tom talks about don't worry
me is... if anyone has a collection of freak corner cases for merges,
and low tolerance for the scm dropping the ball, it's the linux kernel
project.

If they don't get bitten by the dragons, what are the chances that my
puny projects will?

cheers,

martin