Re: [Gnu-arch-users] taglines

From: Martin Langhoff
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] taglines
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:12:11 +1300

On 10/14/05, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
> 2005/10/14, Mark Flacy <address@hidden>:
> > I (and presumably the list) would really be interested in reading what
> > those problems with tagline inventory mode were.
>
> I think it's pretty simple... "That's not what CVS did!!!"

Well, we are still running some cvs->arch imports regularly, and all
the approaches for that expect "names" inventory. Even if I add shell
scripts to use taglines automagically, if I create a file and
contribute it upstream, the cvs->arch gateway will assign it an
arbitrary tag, and it'll conflict with my original file, even if they
are one and the same.

I'll happily accept that perhaps I didn't find the one true way of
doing it. If anyone is using Arch successfully to track upstream
projects that don't use arch, and have it automagically figure out
that the file/patch coming from the other side has been seen locally,
please, PLEASE, tell me how. I mean, in a simple way that doesn't
expect Arch to be everywhere, or me to attach bits of magic metadata
here and there.

At the end of the day I actually don't care if git does it with
bubblegum and papier mache. It does it. Game over.

I bow to the proof that a smart idea works even if it's not the
canonical textbook answer (no pun intended). Hey, that's the
FOSS/hacker spirit, and what makes us strong. Whining (!) about
theoretical "flaws" is what Oracle DBAs do when someone talks about
PostgreSQL or some other FOSS alternative. So I'd appreciate someone
downloading and building git and tricking it to do something *really*
stupid.

C'mon, show that the penguin has no clothes. Seems to be easy to
explain it, shouldn't be hard to prove it to the unwashed masses.

martin