Re: [Gnu-arch-users] into the ether again: wd factor

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] into the ether again: wd factor
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:25:25 +0100

Hi,

Robert Anderson <address@hidden> writes:

> If there was a way to take a tree and split out changes hunk by hunk
> into two or more trees (including a null tree), wouldn't the power of
> changesets really finally be there in a way that's far more useful?
>
> This would be an interactive tool, of course, so it's not an arch
> command, but more the domain of possibly one of the emacs mode writers
> or one of the wrapper writers.

Although I've never used it, it looks like the `--file-list' option of
`commit' could do the job in the most simple cases.  For instance:

1. You hack and modify lots of unrelated files.

2. You'd like to commit now but `tla changes' shows that you've modified
   files that have nothing to do with the very feature/fix that you want
   to commit.

3. You run `tla commit --file-list' with only those files that relate to
   that feature/fix.  And you repeat that operation with the changes you
   made as side-effects.

What do you think?

Ludovic.