[Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: automatic cacherev and smarter get

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: automatic cacherev and smarter get
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:09:21 +0100

"Alfred M\. Szmidt" <address@hidden> writes:

> So if you have a tree that is 300MiB, and you fix a couple of
> documents over 50 revisions, the total size of the patches might be as
> low as 300KiB, but using the `number of patches' algorithm, you will
> end up with a new cacherev that takes up 300.3MiB.  Not very smart.

That's even more complex than it seems to be, because (from my
experience) latency is usually more important than bandwidth. So it
may be faster to download one 5Mb cachedrev than 50 patches of 10Kb
each.

Mercurial claims it has a "cachedrev"/patch compromise that allow O(1)
retrieval (hmm, I guess that's O(tree size), at least ;-). You may
want to have a look.

--
Matthieu