[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] GNU Hurd

From: Haakon Riiser
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [OT] GNU Hurd
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:49:37 +0100

[Ludovic Courtès]

> OTOH, Linux considers file systems as integral parts of the kernel, part
> of the trusted computing base (TCB).  This typically precludes the
> implementation of filesystems such as tar+gz, or other complex file
> systems that need a lot of code and may not reasonably be audited the
> way regular kernel code is.
>
> Therefore, FUSE had to work around this assumption (filesystems being
> in-kernel) by implementing in-kernel glue code that would just forward
> I/O syscalls to some user-level application.  Compared to the Hurd's
> design, it looks quite hackish.

In that case, I don't see why anyone would criticize FUSE for its
kludged design; they only did what they had to do to get user-
space filesystems in Linux.  If the kludge in kernel space works,
and doesn't create problems for kernel developers, FUSE filesystem
developers, or the end-users, then it has to be better than not
having FUSE at all.

--
 Haakon