[Gnu-arch-users] revision library pruning

From: Andy Tai
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] revision library pruning
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 22:46:06 -0800

Hi, for revision libraries their major "problem" is the disk space that they take. It may be useful to have automatic pruning functions; AXP has a command to do that.  I would like to know what is the optimal way of deleting selected revisions from.the library to keep the total size at some threshold. For example, would tla tracking the number of references to each revision (in the revision library) be useful?  I am thinking of, say, tla keeps in a meta file the count of explicit references to a revision each day (a "reference" here is a tla get on the revision or a tla diff on the revision).  Then a script can select revisions not referenced too many times in the past some days to delete, or some such.  The pruning itself probably is not to be done in tla.  Would such an approach be useful?

Thanks for opinions on this.