Re: [Gnu-arch-users] recent changes

From: Andy Tai
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] recent changes
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 03:50:10 -0800

On 2/20/06, Peter Conrad <address@hidden> wrote:
> > tla commit -x a.c  -- b.c a.c d.c
> >
> > will commit b.c and d.c
>
> a while back the more general subject a "partial commits" was discussed,
> and ISTR that a number of unsolved problems prevented the feature from
> being implemented. E. g., what will your patch do in the following
> situation:
>
> mv a.c b.c
> mv d.c a.c
> tla commit -x a.c
>
> IMO instead of adding *another* incomplete implementation of partial
> commits the more general problem should be solved.

Peter, I am not sure how would the addition I made changes the
situation with the  problem you are referring to.  tla commit has
always allowed the specification of particular files to commit, and my
addition merely provides another way of specifying the files.  This
addition does not really change the way commits are done.

In your example, assuming you were using tla mv, then only the old a.c
would be committed now under the name b.c; assuming no other files
exist the effect would be the same as

tla commit -- b.c

So the problem does not depend on how the file list to commit is specified..

Let me know if I miss something..