[Gnu-arch-users] top posting and flame

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] top posting and flame
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 01:37:33 -0800

So, suspending disbelief, I put on my best community
member hat and figure that even if upgrading to Fedora
5 won't fix the bug that leads me to have to top post
in threads at least it's not likely to make things worse,
right? And maybe it'll fix it.

Nah.  Not only does it not fix it but "Evolution" takes a
step backwards and break features that previously worked
(namely, what happens if you click the `Bcc' button).

Ok, so, it's cool -- I'll just report a bug.  S happens.
Turns out there's a handy "Submit a bug report" menu entry
under the "Help" menu.  As a menu entry, that just about looks
professional.

Only, funny thing is, if you pick that option -- one of
the choices you *do not get* is to submit a bug report
about "Evolution".

You get that?  You fire up a cornerstone application of
a major distribution from a leading vendor, find a bug,
go to submit via the provided channel -- and you're told
to fuck off: you can't submit such a bug.  Tell me again,
please, what testing this software goes through before
release.  And this is the RHEL preview channel?

So, y'know, one of the entire points of arch was to lay
down one of a small set of tools needed to just blow
all this crap away.  If we get our act together re
patch propagation (that'd be arch), build/install, testing,
and issue mgt (that'd be the effort Canonical interrupted),
and coding standards/best practices (that'd be what FSF
gave up in face of Cygnus) -- then we're all set.  We can
converge on the debian dream of a system that "just works".
(Don't bother telling me how "hard" it is Andrew S. cause I
know from experience otherwise.)

Awright, I admit, I also wanted to upgrade to FC5 for access
to scribus.   I can use scribus for my day job (which actually
almost makes up for lost busking revenues).  How pathetic
that (a) Bang for buck, I have to rely on RH crew to compile
the thing because the community can't manage to nail source
mgt. fundamentals and (b) I have to trade practical access to
scribus against things like regressions in "evolution".

Mark S.: yup, you've got plenty of money enough to disrupt
what could have been a beautiful thing.  How does earth look
from yr orbit?