Re: [Gnu-arch-users] planning 2.0?

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] planning 2.0?
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 08:56:19 -0700

James Blakwell wrote:
> [....]

Let me slightly break my own rule about early replies to say:

(a) This is good. Thanks.

(b) Will you consider specifying a more specific target market?
     That question on the form was inspired by *your* reports
     of negative experience getting projects to switch.  Certainly
     speed is one issue, but isn't the fact that many projects are
     already heavily "invested" in CVS also an issue making SVN
     (if anything) a more natural choice?   Of course we might want
     *everyone* to eventually use Arch but do you think there are
     some specific types of projects that make more sense than others
     to target initially?   The more specific the target market, the
     better a job we can do focusing efforts (e.g., deciding what kind
     of documentation is a higher priority).
As for "isn't Andy in charge?" ... Of some things, yes. I don't see how
that is relevant to this thread, though.

-t

James Blackwell wrote:
 1. Target Market?

Software developers   - Primary
Sysadmins             - Secondary

 2. Target Market Needs?

Speed.          - Too slow, no adoption
Simplicity      - Complex UI, slow adoption
Portability.    - No Windows   - wait ten years to start.
No Mac OS X - wait twenty years to start.
 3. "Business" Model?

- Scratch your own itch - Can't scratch your own? Pay someone else
I'm a little confused. Isn't Andy in charge?