Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Type-specific diff & patch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Type-specific diff & patch
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 23:16:19 -0400

> Those are pretty obvious.   The third one is one I think people tend to
> overlook:

>  3. Signing and review.

Completely agreed.  I actually think Arch 1 didn't go far enough in
this direction.  It should be possible to do (from the command line)
something like:

  tla changes -o foo
  ... check `foo', send it to someone else for review, sign, and commit ...
  tla commit --someoption foo

The `commit' step could take place without even having to build
a local tree.  Of course, there are some unsolved issues when time comes to
sanity check the patch in `commit', since the patch may have been corrupted
or tampered with in the mean time: it could add a second file with the same
ID, or add a patch to a non-existent file, or ...
But it's not clear whether tla really should protect against such things.
Accidental corruption is easy to catch with checksums, and if someone has
write-access to the archive, then committing a broken patch isn't
necessarily the worst scenario anyway.

        Stefan