[Gnu-arch-users] Debian and package-framework

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Debian and package-framework
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 20:01:40 +0200

Hello,

Daniel Baumann is the new maintainer for the 'tla' Debian package and
I am giving a hand :)

I have a few questions with regard to packaging / package-framework,
could you help us?

Here there are:

* Is there any documentation on package-framework? The included doc
looks empty :/

* Debian heavily relies on dynamic linking to make each package
independent and security updates hence easier - this applies to
libneon. I would like to allow package-framework to build using the
system's libneon instead of the version convenienty included in the
source package.

Is there a clean way to do it, while still allowing to use the
included libneon (if appropriate)?

(currently this is done by patching the files at compile-time, which
isn't pretty ;))

* I would like to provide daily/auto-built .debs for i386 and ppc. For
ppc I need to rely on cross-compilation, but I could not find how to
do that with package-framework. Does package-framework support
cross-compilation?

* <troll-mode>
Can you tell me why package-framework ought to replace autoconf?  Is
it still maintained? If not, wouldn't it be simpler to switch to
autoconf?  :)
</troll-mode/>

Thanks! =)

--