Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Debian and package-framework

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Debian and package-framework
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 19:56:02 +0900

    Miles> Thomas Lord <address@hidden> writes:

    >> It's amusing, isn't it, that so many of the scripting languages
    >> (Python, Perl, Ruby, notably) wind up with their own little
    >> package, configure, install systems.

XEmacs, too.  This is a salient example, as Emacs has explicitly
refused the offer of XEmacs package management code.

    Miles> I think that has more to do with the creators'
    Miles> personalities (and in some cases, history) than any kind of
    Miles> actual necessity.

Given that the p-languages and XEmacs all have them, and I don't know
of any such scripting language that has adopted a 3rd party packaging
solution, I have to think there's some necessity, and that it's
necessary that it be idiosyncratic.

I would be very curious to find out what Stefan Monnier thinks about
that.  (I'm under that impression that he's relatively sympathetic to
package managers, compared to the typical Emacs hacker.)  Stefan, if
you would be so kind?