[Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] `make-archive' and existing directories

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] [MERGE-REQUEST] `make-archive' and existing directories
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:32:43 +0200

I have a one-line patch in my archive[0] allowing for `make-archive' to
work properly even if the target directory already exists.  For an
illustration of the problem and how this affects Savannah users, you can
look at [1].

      make-archive: Allow for the creation of an archive when directory
      is not empty.

While I understand that, by having `make-archive' fail when the target
directory already exists, `tla' places itself on the "safe side", I
believe it currently does more harm than good, especially wrt. to
Savannah.  And, in any case, running the same `make-archive' command
twice will fail even with this patch applied (fortunately).