Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch-tag problem?

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch-tag problem?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 20:21:30 -0800

Miles Bader wrote:

given arch's state,

What a difficult issue.
Personally, I am led to the conclusion that I behaved unethically
in soliciting volunteer aid the ways that I did -- and that helped
evoke equally (I would even stick my neck out and say worse)
unethical behavior by others when money entered the picture
via Canonical.  (I don't exactly apologize, mind you.... I didn't
make those mistakes on purpose and a strive to survive is sometimes
impossible to escape with clean hands.)

The popular conceptions of how free software projects should
work, growing organically out of the once awesome GNU (sw
development) project, are simply wrong when confronted with
micro-economics at scale.   One (very informal) economics mentor
put to me as "I think your approach there is, at root, selfish" (paraphrased).

So, I'm reluctant to fire up the ESR social manipulation techniques
to do much about the public GNU Arch project at the moment ....

YET....

in spite of the wins of Darcs and bazaar and so forth.... I do still
have some concern that it is far from impossible to do an Arch 2.0
very well and, also, that some of the most valuable lessons from Arch
are not well reflected in the most popular competitors that beat it to
death in the market.

Hrmm.

Someone needs to find the intersection of understanding the
beast and a viable free software business model.  Its a bit tricky
in the current climate.