gnu-crypto-discuss

[GNU Crypto] Design overview of GNU Crypto?

From: Marcel Winandy
Subject: [GNU Crypto] Design overview of GNU Crypto?
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:30:57 +0100

Hello!

I think your GNU Crypto Project is a very good idea. On the project homepage
is stated that there will be an implementation of IEEE P1363 algorithms. This
is very interesting because I was involved in developing a complete
implementation of IEEE P1363 in the Java programming language. We had already
some discussion about distributing our library under the GPL license. But a
dicision is not made until today.

Now, I'm trying to understand your implementation in order to figure out some
possible cooperation or integration. Does any documentation on a higher level
than Java API-Doc exists? Some design description or UML charts would be very
useful to get a quick overview.

As far as I've seen you are supporting Sun's JCE architecture. We did not
because of certain reasons. Our implementation was "P1363-only", although AES
was integrated as a fast symmetric cipher algorithm and El-Gamal as a cipher
algorithm based on elliptic curves.

In order to possibly help you and your project it would be a great help for me
if you had some more information about the design aspects of GNU Crypto.

With best regards
 Marcel Winandy
--
Marcel Winandy