gnu-crypto-discuss

Re: [GNU Crypto] JKS and reverse engineering

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: [GNU Crypto] JKS and reverse engineering
Date: 23 Jun 2003 09:20:28 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, 2003-06-23 at 06:23, Casey Marshall wrote:
> > But since the FSF distributes GNU Crypto as an official GNU package it
> > is best just to ask their position on this (they do take some legal risk
> > by providing the official packages). I suggest just forwarding your
> > message in which you explain how you reverse engineered the
> > algorithm/file format (and why it is important for us to provide this to
> > free software developers) to Richard Stallman and ask him whether the
> > FSF wants to distribute this as part of GNU Crypto or that it is more
> > appropriate to only link to the free implementation on you homepage.
>
> Is it appropriate to bug RMS about this? I would have assumed that the
> FSF would have a place to ask questions like this, but I can't find
> anything.

I noticed that in the end whoever you ask they will almost always refer
to RMS anyway. Maybe address@hidden is the correct place to ask.
Since Raif is the official maintainer (I am not official GNU maintainer)
he might have a more appropriate mail address like the mentors
mailinglist. http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_4.html#SEC4
suggests that there is a more detailed description for how to accept
official contributions to GNU programs that Raif might have read.

Cheers,

Mark