gnu-crypto-discuss

[GNU Crypto] Adding new block ciphers; encrypt() not defined anywhere?

From: Morgon Kanter
Subject: [GNU Crypto] Adding new block ciphers; encrypt() not defined anywhere?
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 19:35:43 -0400

Hello,

I'm currently in the process of trying to add block ciphers to GNU
Crypto, and I've run across something I've found to be a bit odd.

Every block cipher's function encryptBlock() and decryptBlock() call the
functions encrypt() and decrypt(), as defined in the BaseBlockCipher
class, which every block cipher extends. However, encrypt() and
decrypt() are left to be defined to the children. So, would it make
sense to add something like:

protected abstract void encrypt(parameters);
protected abstract void decrypt(parameters);

to the BaseBlockCipher class? It just seems to me like a strange
omission.

-- Morgon