Re: predictive.el -- New Release

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: predictive.el -- New Release
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 04:19:27 +0200

On Tue, 2 May 2006 23:33:52 +0200 Toby Cubitt wrote:

> On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 07:29:33PM +0200, David Hansen wrote:
>> Nice work.
>
> Thanks!
>
>> Just a note: rebinding RET is IMHO a very bad idea.  In programming
>> modes i have bound it to `reindent-then-newline-and-indent' and
>> e.g. rcirc won't work with predictive at all (RET is bound to
>> `rcirc-send-input').
>
> You're right, of course.
>
> Trouble is, I have to rebind RET or the whole dynamic completion
> mechanism gets screwed up. I'll see what I can do about making RET
> sort out any dynamic completion, and then run whatever it would have
> been bound to otherwise.
>
> Shouldn't be too difficult, since I already have a macro that does
> something very similar. But I wonder if there's a standard solution to
> this? (Defadvice won't help, since I'd have to advise every function
> that might be bound to RET!)

You can get the original command bound to RET from
`current-local-map' or `current-global-map'.

But maybe `*-command-hook' or `*-change-functions' are a
more clean solution.

Do you plan do add semantics completion feature to your
package?  I think your UI is far better than semantics
tooltip or completion buffer UI.

David