[Announce] RLX, a roguelike game engine and development system for GNU E

From: David O'Toole
Subject: [Announce] RLX, a roguelike game engine and development system for GNU Emacs
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 05:43:15 -0400

I would like to tell you about a project that's been under development
for some time now. It's called RLX and may be of interest to roguelike
fans.

RLX is a portable, free graphical roguelike game console for GNU
Emacs.

http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/RogueLike.html

The system provides the basic nuts and bolts required to build
graphical roguelikes:

 - Graphical tile map display engine with alpha transparency
 - Turn-based action
 - Objects can be scripted in emacs lisp, and can have arbitrary
   properties attached
 - Basic AI support and pathfinding
 - Line-of-sight and lighting
 - Heads-up-display buffer (HUD)
 - Terrain generation and pattern-based map synthesis

Most of the core system is implemented and working, but the IDE for
roguelike games is still under construction. Both are progressing
rapidly and I have begun work on the first RLX game, entitled Void
Mission: A sci-fi roguelike in the tradition of Guardian Legend,
Starflight, and System Shock 2.

Screenshots of both Void Mission and the IDE are available at

http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/RogueLike.html

We are also on freenode IRC at channel #rlx, why not stop by?

--
David O'Toole
address@hidden