Re: linum.el -- Display line numbers to the left of buffers

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: linum.el -- Display line numbers to the left of buffers
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:01:53 +0200

    Leo> Another way of looking at it is that it will get more users to use the
    >> newer versions of emacs and help with the development and testing. I see
    >> no reason not to do that.

    Drew> A specious argument, IMO. Most people who use Emacs 20 have little
    Drew> choice; it is mandated in their place of work or they have no way to
    Drew> install a later version on a captive machine.

So is it really true that we have no consensus about this question?

Forcing updates on users---who may not even be in a position to do so even if
they want---because of political instead of technical reasons?

Maybe one missing hour of sleep is making me aggressive but this sounds too Big
Bill at best and fascist at worst.

PS: In order to talk about linum.el again: Looks nice but makes scrolling nearly
    impossible on my box...

Contact information and PGP key at

Germany 0 : Orwell 1984