Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:04:31 -0700

On Jun 27, 6:59 pm, Mathias Dahl <address@hidden> wrote:
> "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:
> >> Will this work with interactive action functions as well? I can see
> >> how that could be useful sometimes.
>
> > You mean commands?
>
> Yes :)

It's possible already, you just need to write the source for it:

(push `((name . "Emacs Commands")
        (candidates . ,(let (commands)
                         (mapatoms (lambda (a)
                                     (if (commandp a)
                                         (push (symbol-name a)
commands))))
                         (sort commands 'string-lessp)))
        (action . (lambda (command-name)
                    (call-interactively (intern command-name)))))

      anything-sources)

> > Okay, but I want to added other functionality first. Aesthetics have
> > to wait until then.
>
> Okay.

Do you still think the results should be indented? I added empty
separator lines between results form different sources and I think it
improved readability.

> > Yes, QuickSilver was the original inspiration, though I haven't used
> > a Mac, so I've never used it, only read descriptions about it. I
> > imagine this package will provide similar functionality to
> > QuickSilver when matured.
>
> Exciting!

The only problem is I couldn't think of any practical example where it
would be useful to choose from several actions to execute. For
example, what else would one want to do with buffers besides switching
to them? Killing them? One usually kills the current buffer, so it
doesn't seem very useful. The same with files. What else would one
want to do with them than opening them?

Any ideas?