Re: keyboard-macro-timer.el

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: keyboard-macro-timer.el
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:20:09 +0200

> It occurs to me that it would be more general to repeat the next or
> previous command at a given interval.  If what you want to repeat is
> a keyboard macro, then you type a command to run the keyboard macro.

True, that would be more general.

> It is probably just as convenient, and maybe simpler too.  Would you
> like to give that a try?

For executing previous command I did some investigation and looked up
how `repeat' does it and it was way too complicated to me with a lot
of handling of special cases. And when it comes to reading the next
command, I would not even know where to begin. I see that there is the
function `read-command' to read a commands name, but that does not
seem very convenient. I guess I could also read the next keyboard
sequence, and even if I manage executing the bound command, what if
that command would require user interaction, e.g. response in the
minibuffer?

By forcing the user to record a keyboard macro for what he wants to
repeat, I get around all these problems, problems that didn't even
exist before you suggested the above... :)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, it is a good idea, but way over my
elisp capabilities.

What could be a good idea, however, would be to add something similar
to my hack to the kmacro package. I think it would fit quite well in
there.

/Mathias