Re: realplay.el interface with Real Player v. 1879

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: realplay.el interface with Real Player v. 1879
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:52:00 -0400

    > The non-free codecs that I'm talking about are the ones that are
    > binary-only (or those that have non-free licenses; but I am not sure
    > that case occurs).  I don't see any ethical problem in distributing
    > programs that are patented or illegal in certain countries, as long
    > as their liceses are free.  Those laws may be unjust, but they
    > are not the program's fault.

    I was a bit misguided by the "don't use gif pictures" article on
    gnu.org.

We never objected on ethical grounds to the distribution of GIF-making
software -- by those who dared to do so, given the threats of patent
suits.  However, given that danger, we needed to try to discourage the
use of GIF, to reduce the demand for GIF-making software.