Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 09:03:35 +0200

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi,

>> Is there some reason why the following 2 bindings aren't part of
>> anything-map:
>>
>>     (define-key map (kbd "M-v") 'anything-previous-page)
>>     (define-key map (kbd "C-v") 'anything-next-page)
>>

> The only reason is I saw no need, since it's very easy to customize
> the keyboard bindings.
>
> I don't use the default bindings either and I don't expect others to
> do so. People should tune them to their needs, similarly to anything
> sources, because there is no single default which would appeal to most
> users considering some use iswitchb and some doesn't and even those
> who do use it may or may not use
> anything-iswitchb-dont-touch-iswithcb- keys, etc.
>
> Actually, the thought already occurred to me anything-config could
> also offer custom keyboard configurations. For example, you could
> submit a configuration to Tassilo for people who prefer the standard
> Emacs bindings and don't use iswitchb, so they don't care if some of
> the bindings override iswitchb functions, because they don't use it.
>
> Similarly, other alternative keyboard configurations could also be
> offered and people simply would pick what they prefer.

IMHO it's faster to redefine the keymaps to whatever you like than to
read through three or for different keymap definitions to pick one that
fits only most of my needs.

As I don't use iswitchb I've overwritten those bindings:

(define-key anything-map (kbd "M-p") 'anything-previous-history-element)
(define-key anything-map (kbd "M-n") 'anything-next-history-element)
(define-key anything-map (kbd "C-s") 'anything-isearch)
(define-key anything-map (kbd "M-v") 'anything-previous-page)
(define-key anything-map (kbd "C-v") 'anything-next-page)
(define-key anything-isearch-map (kbd "C-s") 'anything-isearch-again)

On the other hand I think that using default keys by default would be
more sensible, because not too much people use iswitchb, I guess. So
maybe it'll be a good idea to add an option to anything-config.el that
defines standard keymaps.

> For example, I use a configuration which respects anything-iswitchb-
> dont-touch-iswithcb-keys, so I can use the standard iswitchb bindings,
> but override those bindings which I don't use in iswitchb.
>
>> I would also like to have the default bindings for "C-n" & "C-p" in
>> anything-map; however, I guess there's a conflict with binding "C-n"
>> since iswitchb binds it. However, "C-v" & "M-v" should be ok to bind.
>>
>> If there's no good reason not to bind them, could you please add them
>> to anything-map?
>
> Well, let's see first what Tassilo thinks about the idea above.

Now you've heard it. I'll add an option that will define standard
keymaps before loading anything.el.

What do you think should be its default? Standard keymaps would be more
logical for new users whereas the anything bindings would be good for
compatibility.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck Norris describes human beings as "a sociable holder for blood and guts".