Re: guitar-tune.el 0.1

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: guitar-tune.el 0.1
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:28:55 +0100

Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> () Mathias Dahl <address@hidden>
> () Sat, 12 Jan 2008 22:28:52 +0100
>
>    ;; E1.wav   http://www.box.net/shared/xgeh7yqskg
>    ;; A2.wav   http://www.box.net/shared/lvlcuyvkso
>    ;; D3.wav   http://www.box.net/shared/u7hg1tg8cg
>    ;; G4.wav   http://www.box.net/shared/yfzha20g8s
>    ;; B5.wav   http://www.box.net/shared/nlitky58gg
>    ;; E6.wav   http://www.box.net/shared/x12ksgj4sk
>
> can these sound samples be synthesized directly by emacs?
> single-frequency tone for 2.5sec.  how hard can it be (in elisp)?
> we have bindat.el and the CDDA standard, after all...

I did not think of looking into that. I am sure you can use any tone of
the correct frequency to tune a guitar but as a complete beginner I
found it comfortable to hear all the qualities of the sound from the
guitar. I started yesterday, having borrowed a guitar from a friend and
the hack was just for convenience.

I should also mention that I tried to avoid using EMMS but it has a nice
property that the internal `play-sound*' functions does not have and
that is that playing another string before the first one has finished
will stop the first one. If I use `play-sound' the sound will block
Emacs until it is done.