Re: gtranslate.el --- google translation

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: gtranslate.el --- google translation
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:48:11 +0800

Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien wrote:
>> Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Software as a Service here is a misleading term IMHO
>>
>> Even if the software is not delivered, the user is dealing with "remote"
>> software.
>
> A running API is a very different thing then just software.

I'm not talking about the API.  I'm talking about the software.  The API
stands between the software and the users.

>> This software can be free (under the GNU Affero license).
>
> That wouldn't solve the problem.
> Given you installed Googles translations API at your computer, what
> will it translate?

The GNU Affero is not for the API, but for the software.  If Google
releases the software behind the Google Translations API, then part
of the problem is solved, because it lets anyone run this software.

One part remains unsolved: the fact that the value of Google Translation
interface lies more in their huge databases rather than in the software
that is using it.

Meaning that even if the Google Translation software is released under
the GNU Affero license, this software wouldn't be as useful for 3rd part
as it is for Google, unless they also disclose their database - which is
highly unprobable.

> Probably nothing. Why?
> Because you lack the databases.

Right.