Re: [GNU-linux-libre] LibertyBSD - OpenBSD minus the blobs

From: Michał Masłowski
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] LibertyBSD - OpenBSD minus the blobs
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 21:29:18 +0100

>> I wonder if there is an advantage to work with the people of NuBSD [0]
>> instead of starting another free BSD?
>
> I hadn't heard of them. It seems that they're system is based on
> FreeBSD, though. In any case, since I've already finished making
> LibertyBSD, I don't see any point in not releasing it.

All NuBSD work that I know about is the wiki and an incomplete
deblobbing script.  (All that I currently do for NuBSD is wiki hosting.)

In my experience, every person interested in FSDG-freeing a BSD distro
prefers a different BSD distro, so due to limited time of a single
contributor no such project has enough work done to be posted on this
list.  Yours might change this.

> I already strongly recommend against using the ports tree. However, the
> BSDs being what they are, a ports tree fetched two weeks from now may
> not work on a release downloaded today.

It's the same if you mix repos for different versions of a GNU/Linux
distro.

> For this reason, I would like to provide the tarball of a working ports
> tree, such that people can work on deblobbing it if they wish to do so.
> Otherwise, there is no hope of ever having a free ports tree.

Deblobbing can be done incrementally, with scripts that adapt a current
revision of the upstream ports tree into one compliant with the FSDG.
This might be similar to how Parabola or Trisquel removes some packages
and modifies the rest (with nice scripts editing source packages in
Trisquel).