Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [Dev] [Riley Baird] LibertyBSD - OpenBSD minus the

From: Bryan Baldwin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [Dev] [Riley Baird] LibertyBSD - OpenBSD minus the blobs
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 10:03:42 +1300

On 12/30/2014 09:45 AM, Riley Baird wrote:
Is there any significant reason, other than the license, that gcc is
better than clang? I really don't want to deviate too much from
upstream, and as long as the license is free, I don't see a problem.

If it's about the license, I can see that OpenBSD's, or Debian's
decision of which compiler to use would be influential, and thus they
should use gcc. But LibertyBSD is not likely to be influential, so I
don't see the point in changing the default compiler.

If you were going to pick apart something because of the license, you probably wouldn't be doing BSD in the first place. BSD licensing is horrible, and does nothing to prevent antagonists from appropriating your code and not sharing their changes with you.

Whilst I think that LibertyBSD is an interesting project, and possibly edifying to its developers, it is like fishing ice cubes out of an ocean filled with iceburgs, freedomwise.