Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Fully FOSS Tails OS

From: Ivan Zaigralin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Fully FOSS Tails OS
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:09:50 -0800

Tails are not receptive to the idea, at least there's no reason to think they
changed their minds. About a year ago I've made an effort to figure out how
they estimate the chances of distributing malware within Linux blobs, and they
stonewalled me completely. By that they've shown their deep ignorance about
important issues pertaining to privacy and security policy, among other
things. I also pointed out their main web page is incorrect in implying that
FSF considers them free software, but to this day they've done nothing to fix
that.

More info here:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5393#note-10

From the very start I suggested that Tails should simply transition to Linux-
libre or something similar, and dump the nonfree kernel after a transitional
period. I have made it a privacy & security argument, but they did not budge.
I still think it is unfortunate to have one team work on technical aspects,
while the other, completely independent team is solving issues related to
security and ethics. But given the level of denial, the best we can do is wash
our hands and fork it over. The way the winds are blowing these days, it is
kind of obvious to me at least, Tails will eventually have to follow Heads, or
else they will be left behind :)