Re: [GNU-linux-libre] youtube-dl might be running non-free software from

From: Ivan Zaigralin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] youtube-dl might be running non-free software from webpages
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 12:04:33 -0700

It is not the primary function of youtube-dl to run specific non-free code off
the web. The primary function of youtube-dl is to download videos onto the
local host. It may well be that in order to acheve this goal youtube-dl
downloads and executes mystery javascript, possibly non-free.

Compare this with konqueror. One of konqueror's primary functions is to
display web pages. In doing so konqueror downloads and executes mystery
javascript, possibly non-free. And yet no one is suggesting that konqueror
fails FSDG. If the user is averse to non-free software, then It is clearly the
responsibility of the user to make sure that whatever page they are looking at
only supplies free software. In fact, konqueror cannot reliably determine
which software is free (and neither can LibreJS, by the way, since it simply
takes the script's self-identification as the final word, nevermid that
scripts can trivially lie).

I am not saying youtube-dl is perfect or cannot be improved with respect to
how it deals with potentially non-free javascript. All I am saying is,
youtube-dl is clearly a general-purpose web downloader, so its users
automatically assume responsibility for whatever is being downloaded, and how
it's being downloaded. There's absolutely nothing wrong with youtube-dl being
able to process a web site which serves non-free javascript.

For what it's worth, I'd like to say a few words about LibreJS as well. I
don't want to make a comparison between noscript and LibreJS, since they have
very different functions, but I really think that adopting LibreJS approach to
youtube-dl would be another massive blunder. Neither free nor non-free
software is detectable by a simplistic algorithm, so this approach would be
highly ineffective, just as it is right now within icecat.