Re: [GNU-linux-libre] youtube-dl might be running non-free software from

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] youtube-dl might be running non-free software from
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2017 09:38:34 +0300

On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 11:54:50PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> So, while youtube-dl is an invaluable tool.. it is not exactly clear to me
> whether it can be considered free libre software.
> * The source code is available and it is permissively licensed[4]
> * The program munges nonfree javascript, allowing the user to accomplish a
> task without executing it.
> * The program is used to violate TOS, but software freedom 0 says we have
> the right to use a program for any purpose.

The "rights" do not just come because somebody says so, subject of
rights is complicated.

While you may certainly receive free software with the license that
permits you to use it to kill somebody, such right cannot be derived
from a software license, so in that sense reasoning cannot be perfect.

That is extreme example.

Less extreme example would be to face the court when breaking laws
about the penetration of computer systems.

An accused cracker could then try to defend himself in court: "But I
have got freedom zero, that I can use the software for whatever
purpose I want" -- judge could reply "sure, 10 years in prison".

Jean