Re: [GNU-linux-libre] PureOS added to endorsed distro list - what about

From: Zlatan Todoric
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] PureOS added to endorsed distro list - what about the kernel?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 18:41:01 +0100

Hi Henry,

On 12/22/2017 05:18 PM, Henry Jensen wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> congratulations for adding a great distro to the list.
>
> However, it seems that PureOS is not using the linux-libre kernel but a
> kernel based on Debian's Linux kernel.

Yes, that is correct.

> When I tried to get ConnochaetOS [0] on this list the last time, people
> explained to me, that ConnochaetOS can't be endorsed because it doesn't
> use linux-libre and the Debian based kernel requests non-free firmware
> files and does write the names of those files to the system log. See the
> thread at
> https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2017-08/msg00013.html

I will not read into thread but I can also add this: Debian kernel
itself doesn't contain non-free firmware at all (they are separate
packages in non-free repo that we sync too). Debian does allow if
something wants to find firmware and it has non-free repo enabled, that
it can be installed. This gets to bottom part...

> Now, I installed PureOS and it seems, PureOS does use the same Debian
> based deblob mechanism as does ConnochaetOS.
>
> To verify it, I tried the PureOS ISO from
> https://downloads.puri.sm/snapshots/2017-11-11/pureos-8.0-live-amd64.hybrid.iso
> and booted it on a notebook with a wifi chip which does need non-free
> firmware. And indeed I see in dmesg the following message (among others):
>
> iwlwifi: 0000:03:00.0 firmware: failed to load iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode (-2)

And as you see it says "failed to load" which means, yes, it wanted to
see if there is such firmware in kernel but it couldn't find it. So, in
the end, Debian kernel is Free and PureOS archive is entirely based on
Debian main archive (no contrib and non-free) and there is no code that
is non-free in (we even do Freedom bugs in tracker to make Debian main
"more" Free).

> So, of course I want to know how PureOS can use this Debian based
> kernel and be endorsed while ConnochaetOS can't?

Well, if the only issue was Debian's kernel, I don't see it as stop sign
and you should re-apply. Notice that Debian kernel in past didn't deblob
firmware from it but in recent times that is the case now as well, so
maybe some people remember it like that.

> Regards,
>
> Henry

Cheers,