Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity

From: Donald Robertson
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 15:27:10 -0400

Sorry I couldn't jump in sooner on this thread, I've been a bit busy at
LibrePlanet.

In terms of de-listing or other action plans for currently endorsed
distros, that's something for us at the FSF to handle.

What you all can do to help is to file freedom-related bugs where
applicable for any currently endorsed distro and follow the instructions
at <https://www.gnu.org/help/gnu-bucks.en.html>. In short, file a bug
with the project, email us at address@hidden with a link to that
bug, and your physical mailing address should you want to receive a GNU
Buck.

I understand the concerns with some of these older distros, but we have
a mechanism in place for making sure they keep working on
freedom-related issues, we just have to keep working at that. And if
they're having trouble meeting those obligations, we at the FSF will
discuss with them the best way to move forward.

And that goes for any distro; if there are issues, file bugs and let
<address@hidden> know, and we'll monitor the situation. We
require every distro to maintain a way to accept bugs, so I don't think
we need to use this list as a bug tracker.

In terms of discussing whether a particular issue is actually a freedom
problem, that can be really important work we can do here on the list.
But I think we've built a good base of information and opinion here on
the issues discussed, and at this point we at the FSF need to bring some
guidance. So please give me some time to move forward our internal
discussions on these issues.

I know the system in the past hasn't worked very well, and that's my
fault. I've got a lot of work to do to get things back up and running
properly, and I thank you all for your help in revamping things. While
that is going on, let's keep in mind we're all working towards the same
goal here. We are all on the same team. But I'm the one ultimately
responsible for keeping things running when it comes to endorsed
distros, so if you're feeling frustration, please direct it at me. Let's
keep our eye on the prize here on the list, and I think we can really
accomplish a lot.

--
Donald R. Robertson, III, J.D.
Licensing & Compliance Manager