Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity

From: Luke
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] DSFG in perpetuity
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 17:01:58 -0400

On 04/04/2018 11:53 PM, KRT Listmaster wrote
>>> I might not have time right away to start rebuilding Qt5 from source
>>> with different flags (it's a huge package, takes forever on my systems).
>>>  I think the point of this exercise was to evaluate a stock browser
>>> based on QtWebEngine without having to tweak it too much (just turned
>>> off the adblocker is all), and see what outgoing requests were being
>>> made, if any.  Contrast this with an idling Chromium, which spewed out
>>> countless google.com and gstatic.com requests on an ongoing basis, for
>>> example. It seems that whatever googliness that is baked into Chromium
>>> has indeed really been stripped out of QtWebEngine as the developers
>>> suggest.  I don't see any evidence to the contrary.
>>>
>>> Are there any relatively simple ways of checking for the other request
>>> triggers you mentioned beyond recompiling Qt5 with different flags?  The
>>> stock build seems fairly clean to me.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> - krt

Good to see Falcon came clean, I don't know any easy ways of thoroughly
testing it since each program can be configured differently.
Falcon can probably be white-listed as free software now.

Per QT Docs, as long as QTLocation is not compiled then Google APIs for
Geolocation should not execute.
https://wiki.qt.io/QtWebEngine/Features#HTML5_Geolocation

Also Per QT, Google OAth shouldn't execute so as long as the Google API
key is not included in the software.
http://blog.qt.io/blog/2017/01/25/connecting-qt-application-google-services-using-oauth-2-0/
(The same is true for Mozilla Firefox in both cases)