Re: [GNU-linux-libre] yes, this is great freedom problem

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] yes, this is great freedom problem
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 17:29:16 +0200

On Thu, Aug 02, 2018 at 01:51:27AM -0700, address@hidden wrote:
> hi
> to day
> my friend installed PureOS 8 on His computer with gnome desktop
> environment by using the official .iso file from PureOS website, and
> after installed it on His machine, he found an options for making online
> accounts to microsoft, facebook, google and some other companies they
> working againts freedom philosophy
>
> iso file name = pureos-8.0-gnome-live_20180706-amd64.hybrid.iso
> sha256sum =
> 6b61964ad2640fdec3aaa8e5a029f5eb2eca22c6679efda0bc8fed176ae2bae7
> now I ask Hisself and ask everyone
> How it was approved to be in gnu free list??!!!
> The images in the attachments
> have fun and be free
> alimiracle

Pure OS is free software distribution and is
committed to maintain distribution.

You are advised to submit bug report here:
https://tracker.pureos.net/

In regards to free software distribution guideline
as here:
http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

and problem that you described, I can see 2
issues:

1. trademark issue, it is questionable if the icons
  that point to centralized networks such as
  Facebook or Google or others are free graphics
  and may be problematic for the distribution of
  the whole distribution.

The other issue is related to the usage of word
"Cloud" as in
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#CloudComputing

Quoting from above linkL

>  The term “cloud computing” (or just “cloud”, in
>  the context of computing) is a marketing
>  buzzword with no coherent meaning. It is used
>  for a range of different activities whose only
>  common characteristic is that they use the
>  Internet for something beyond transmitting
>  files. Thus, the term spreads confusion. If you
>  base your thinking on it, your thinking will be
>  confused (or, could we say, “cloudy”?).

> When thinking about or responding to a statement
> someone else has made using this term, the first
> step is to clarify the topic. What scenario is
> the statement about? What is a good, clear term
> for that scenario? Once the topic is clearly
> formulated, coherent thought about it becomes
> possible.

> One of the many meanings of “cloud computing” is
> storing your data in online services. In most
> scenarios, that is foolish because it exposes
> you to surveillance.

> Another meaning (which overlaps that but is not
> the same thing) is Service as a Software
> Substitute, which denies you control over your
> computing. You should never use SaaSS.

> Another meaning is renting a remote physical
> server, or virtual server. These practices are
> ok under certain circumstances.

> Another meaning is accessing your own server
> from your own mobile device. That raises no
> particular ethical issues.

> The NIST definition of "cloud computing"
> mentions three scenarios that raise different
> ethical issues: Software as a Service, Platform
> as a Service, and Infrastructure as a
> Service. However, that definition does not match
> the common use of “cloud computing”, since it
> does not include storing data in online
> services. Software as a Service as defined by
> NIST overlaps considerably with Service as a
> Software Substitute, which mistreats the user,
> but the two concepts are not equivalent.

> These different computing practices don't even
> belong in the same discussion. The best way to
> avoid the confusion the term “cloud computing”
> spreads is not to use the term “cloud” in
> connection with computing. Talk about the
> scenario you mean, and call it by a specific
> term.

> Curiously, Larry Ellison, a proprietary software
> developer, also noted the vacuity of the term
> “cloud computing.” He decided to use the term
> anyway because, as a proprietary software
> developer, he isn't motivated by the same ideals
> as we are.

In regards to driving people to those surveillance
networks, myself, I would not suggest to users to
do it, I would suggest decentralized networks.

But that was decision of PureOS and I think you
better submit bug report on their website.

I did not see pointers in Free Software
Distribution guidelines to avoid centralized
surveillance networks such as Facebook.

Hyperbola in that regard is doing very well, they
have eliminated such networks.

Yet PureOS is free software distribution,
maintainers are commited and bug reports shall be
filed on their website.

Can you do that now?

Jean