Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola GNU/Linux-Libre last chance comments

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Hyperbola GNU/Linux-Libre last chance comments
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 19:20:50 -0300

On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 10:52:22 -0500
bill-auger <address@hidden> wrote:

> the only distinguishing information about the FSDG distros that is
> essential to users for deciding which distro to choose, is whether it
> follows a rolling vs stable release schedule, and whether it is a
> read-only, "live" distro or one that should be installed - ive
> suggested to add those two characteristics to the FSDG distros
> web-page with brief explanations what they imply; but that could be
> accomplished entirely objectively

What is "rolling" and what is "LTS"?.

> the FSDG distros web-page is only intended to showcase the distros - i
> dont think anyone wants to make recommendations on that page - it has
> been suggested to make a wiki page on libreplanet comparing the
> detailed characteristics of the FSDG distros - perhaps user reviews
> could go on that page
>
> for 99% of people though, the correct decision is: "i should use an
> LTS distro", and the explanation of "LTS vs rolling" should say:
> "(LTS is the recommended option for most people)"; so then, the
> recommended distros would be gnewsense, dragora, trisquel, ututo, and
> hyperbola (and perhpas in time, uruk) - among those, trisquel, ututo,
> and uruk are essentially the same distro (a liberated ubuntu16), most
> people will (FWIW) consider gnewsense and dragora to be too old, and
> all the other distros are best suited to power-users or niche
> use-cases; so it is not a difficult decision to make today - before
> hyperbola is endorsed, the only real choice for most people is,
> between those derived from ubuntu16
> - on that note, it is good to see hyperbola and liberty-BSD coming in,
> expanding the variety of stable, general-purpose options

If Dragora is considered to be too old -- I do not know who is the "most
people".  However, a new release has been made on September, the
3.0-alpha2 -- which is up to date.  If for some reason the distro is
getting too old, you or other people could try to get involved, help.