Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Chromium, ungoogled or otherwise, and Guix

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Chromium, ungoogled or otherwise, and Guix
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 15:15:11 -0500

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:18:19 +0100 Giovanni wrote:
> I agree: please someone involved
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:FreedSoftware could complete the
> info for chromium on
> https://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines#chromium-browser
> ?

i think that for all intents and purposes, this mailing list is exactly
that "Group:FreedSoftware"

the essential issue here (and it is THE central issue), is that there
is not yet anything "complete" to change it too - "un-google it" is
not complete - we need a proper recipe, declaring both the problems and
the solutions, for all known problems and solutions - once that
information exists, we would want to discuss it; then upon a consensus
that it is a satisfiable solution, someone can make that edit

i dont think we are anywhere near "complete" yet - we have scantly more
information today than a year ago, when it was concluded that the
"ungoogled" treatment would be necessary but not sufficient

> do you have the bug number now?

i could not find it - the "newest bugs" filter seems to be broken

https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgreport.cgi?newest=guix

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 17:18:19 +0100 Giovanni wrote:
> in order to distribute the Linux-libre kernel developers have to
> download a non-FSDG Linux kernel... or they have to download a
> stripped-source-version?

we discussed this on IRC today

firstly, the FSF does make a distinction between the software
developers and technicians may use for the sole purpose of liberating
software and hardware, and the software get re-distributed to users

but the key difference with that anology, practically speaking, is that
is linux-libre is not a distro - this rule we are discussing is from the
FSDG which applies to distros

now for the sake of this argument, guix is a project, but guixsd is a
distro - so that analogy could perhaps be pertinent to the guix package
manager as a distinct project; but guixsd, the distro, has promised to
follow the FSDG