Re: Differences ...

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Differences ...
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 20:03:21 GMT

> [1]  You don't think it's bizarre?  Well, as a potential consumer of GNU
> Emacs Mule code, I have to wonder what that license can say that is
> GPL-compatible but not covered by the GPL, and whether a downstream GPL
> licensee is bound by that contract that he has never seen, etc, etc.

The legal paperwork (i.e. copyright assignment) doesn't have to do with the
GPL as such.  I.e. it's needed to get assurances that the GPL license does
not give, basically assurance that "it is really GPL and will stay that
way".

Most of the code "licensed as GPL" on the 'net could turn out to not be
GPL'd after all because the one who released it under the GPL was not
legally the sole copyright owner (for example).

ASAIU anyway,

        Stefan