Re: FSF taking money from outsourcers

From: Christopher Browne
Subject: Re: FSF taking money from outsourcers
Date: 29 Apr 2004 17:52:40 GMT

After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, "Kenneth P. Turvey"
<kt@squeakydolphin.com> belched out:
> On 28 Apr 2004 15:49:07 -0700, Snuffelluffogus <darkred@myway.com> wrote:
>> If you knew anything, you would know that in the USA about 70%
>> of corporations used loopholes and offshore addresses to pay no taxes at all.
>> So no, they have not fully paid their debt that way. They must keep
>> the jobs onshore lest they act unethically.
>
> Ideally there would be no corporate income taxes to dodge.  The
> income could be taxed when it is disbursed to the owners and
> employees of a company.  This would reduce the incentive for sending
> work overseas (since many times it is simply a tax dodge).

The problem with eliminating corporate income taxes is that this
provides an incentive for companies to simply not bother paying out
any income to the shareholders.

If the company holds off on paying out dividends for a few years, the
income would simply not be taxed during that period.

Supposing I own a "holding company," which has income of $500K/year
coming in, and I can personally afford to live on $100K/year, then I
could avoid taxes on the $400K/year just about indefinitely by not
bothering to pay it out.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/sap.html