Re: Gates Patents Flipping a Light Switch References:

From: Rahul Dhesi
Subject: Re: Gates Patents Flipping a Light Switch References:
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 22:42:05 +0000 (UTC)

hollaar@faith.cs.utah.edu (Lee Hollaar) writes:

>In article <c860ib$jo0$1@blue.rahul.net>
>c.c.eiftj@GatesXPate.usenet.us.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>>hollaar@faith.cs.utah.edu (Lee Hollaar) writes:
>>
>>>He didn't have to bring up some phantom "criminalising" to make his
>>>point ...
>>
>>As I recall, only a few years ago, in a similar argument on Usenet,
>>somebody complained about how reverse engineering was being
>>criminalized, and everybody jumped on him to correct him that it
>>wasn't a crime.
>>
>>Yet.

>Still.

>If somebody can't make a point without resorting to bogus scare
>arguments, his point isn't worth much.

It's not exactly a bogus scare argument.  You are using 'criminalise' as
a term of art.  But it has a much broader colloquial meaning when used
hyperbolically in plain English, and the original poster's message was
quite clear.

Notice that the word "unlawful" includes non-criminal activities too.
What's a good verb that stands for making something unlawful?
Unlawfulize?
--
Rahul