Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:09:09 +0200

Arnoud Engelfriet wrote:
[...]
> The GPL states that if you create a derivative work, you can
> only distribute that derivative work under GPL terms. It is
> allowed to mix GPL and BSD code, since the BSD license is
> GPL-compatible. That is, you are allowed to distribute the
> result, since by obeying the GPL you also obey the BSD terms.

The GPL terms do NOT require to reproduce the BSD list of conditions
and the BSD disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
provided with the binary distribution.

That's additional requirement not present in the GPL that one must
comply with. You just can't have a derivative work (and I mean REAL
derivative work, not GNU absurdity) under many licenses unless each
original work was "multi-licensed" under all other licenses.

Practically, you never need and do things like that because "natural"
ways of abstraction, design, and coding lead to separation.

regards,
alexander.