Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:25:33 +0200

Rainer Weikusat wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov <terekhov@web.de> writes:
> > Rainer Weikusat wrote:
> > [... copyright misuse ...]
> >
> >> The GPL does not contain a grantback provision,
> >
> > Sure it does. It triggers when I want to distribute derivative works.
>
> It does not. The GPL forbids redistribution of GPL'ed works as part of
> non-GPL'ed works and nothing more. To quote:
>
>         These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole.  If
>         identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the
>         Program, and can be reasonably considered independent and
>         separate works in themselves, then this License, and its
>         terms, do not apply to those sections when you distribute them
>         as separate works.
>
> Voila -- no grantback.

Yeah. The part you quoted is the most funnier part of the GPL (given
that I don't "modify" anything [as far as copyright law is concerned]
when I "combine" works, etc.). The "grantback" is formulated in 2 (b)
and the next statement.

       But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole
       which is a work based on the Program, the distribution of the
       whole must be on the terms of this License, whose permissions
       for other licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to
       each and every part regardless of who wrote it.

I have no idea what the FSF means by "sections" but they state rather
unambiguously that <quote> a "work based on the Program" means either
the Program or any derivative work under copyright law </quote>" (see
Section 0).

regards,
alexander.