Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs

From: Rui Miguel Seabra
Subject: Re: Use of GPL'd code with proprietary programs
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:35:24 +0100

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 00:19 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> [...]
> > So that A+B is the mere collection (aggregation) of two works and not a
> > single new work,
>
> And what's the difference?

The two live and fulfill their jobs 100% independently of the other.

> >                  then that would not be a copyright infringement.
> >
> > But if the work is really C=B+A
>
> You mean that "A+B" is okay but "B+A" is not okay? Interesting (but I
> can cope with that ;-) ).

No. Sides are irrelevant in the + operation, but that was a typo.
I said:

  A+B   (two independent works) doesn't even touch this issue.
  C=A+B (one independent new work) must respect both licenses.
         if it can't, because it adds restrictions that the GPL'ed
         doesn't have, for instance, then you don't have the author's
         permission to include and distribute his work. So C=A+B must
         be distributed under a license that's compatible with both
         licenses of A and B. If one of them is the GPL, the whole work
         must be GPL'ed, since that's likely the only way to ensure full
         backward compatibility with the GPL.

> > (one work), then it has to be GPL'ed since A is GPL'ed.
>
> Define "one work".

What, we'll be defining blue next, when I say the cloudless day has a
blue sky?

Rui