Re: SCO laying an ambush for the GPL?

From: Linønut
Subject: Re: SCO laying an ambush for the GPL?
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:15:13 -0500

Error BR-549: MS DRM 1.0 rejects the following post from Nick Kew:

> Because the GPL concerns derived works, this could set a precedent for
> cases about software alleged to be a derived work of something-GPL.

The GPL defines "derived" strictly:

   The "Program", below, refers to any such program or work, and a "work based
   on the Program" means either the Program or any derivative work under
   copyright law: that is to say, a work containing the Program or a portion of
   it, either verbatim or with modifications and/or translated into another
   language.

By this definition, the code that IBM contributed is (I suspect) not "derived"
from AIX.

--
Free as in freedom
Power as in empowerment