Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: LGPL reverse engineering clause & Java
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 18:10:37 +0100

> David Kastrup wrote:
> [...]
>> > Time Warner, Inc.:
>> >
>> >   We note that the initial downloading of a copy, from an
>> >   authorized source to a purchaser's computer, can result in
>> >   lawful ownership of a copy stored in a tangible medium.
>>
>> Ok, so once you have downloaded software legally onto your computer
>> (from an authorized source to your computer), you may sell your
>> computer including that software, since your computer is now the
>> location of the tangible copy.
>
> You're again being dense.

Oh, the usual "Alexander is out of arguments" tag again.

> Suppose that I download it directly to Nero-InCD-like
> "folder".

If you have authorization for doing that, of course you can create the
tangible copy that you have been authorized to produce on a CD-ROM.

How did you acquire that authorization?

> Happy now? Can we talk now about the price you can pay for my copy
> of winxp64? It's really good copy, dak.

I already told you that if I wanted to acquire a copy of software, the
last person I'd be buying it from would be somebody that boasts about
understanding copyright better than the law does.