using GPL api to be used in a properietary software

From: Wahaj
Subject: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:13:37 +0500

Hi All,

I have been reading number of archives on this list and also the GPL license and it has created some confusions. By reading the licence it seems that one can use the GPLed code in a propertietary closed software IF

1) we don't bundle the GPLed API
2) we don't use it as statically linked library

I think following are the different ways one can use a GPLed code in a properietary code:

1) We can create an exe of the GPLed API and call it from a properietary application. The exe gets the parameters performs its tasks and the calling application can get the output

2) Dynamically link the GPLed library where we provide the necessary dlls of the GPLed library and don't bundle it inside our code. We simply use it. Any other application on the machine can also use it.

Am I right with the following above two assumptions ?

Thanks for reading,
Wahaj