Re: Licensing question about the BSD

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Licensing question about the BSD
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:04:41 +0200

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
[...]
>   <<the owner of a particular copy or phonorecord lawfully made under
> this title, or any person authorized by such owner, is entitled, without
> the authority of the copyright owner, to sell or otherwise dispose of
> the possession of that copy or phonorecord.>>
>                   ^^^^^^^^^
>
> So you can do whatever with _YOUR_COPY_ but you still can't redistribute
> copies of it.

Downloads aside for a moment, the GPL permits reproduction, and, under
the idiotic "not-a-contract" theory, it just can't compel me to
relinquish the distribution right that I enjoy under the copyright
law (17 USC 109) being the owner of all those NEW "particular copies"
that I've lawfully made: I can distribute them as I see fit (apart
from rental) without the authority of the copyright owner. There's no
copyright infringement and there's no contract violation ("no contract"
says FSF). That's it.

regards,
alexander.